Waiting to go into the oven but forgot to take a photo when it came out!!!
I love fish and a good fish pie. I know from experience that it is impossible to find dairy & gluten free Fish Pie on a restaurant menu but that shouldn’t stop us allergy sufferers from creating one ourselves! This fish pie is not only tasty but it is easy to make. The recipe is as follows:
Dairy & Gluten Free Fish Pie (Serves 3- 4)
500g Fish Pie Mix. (I get mine from my fishmonger. If you can’t get fish pie mix, make up your own. You will need about 350g white fish such as haddock and 150g of smoked haddock. I like to add a bit of salmon to my mix. The addition of salmon makes it luxurious!)
300ml dairy free milk ( I used rice milk)
1 onion peeled
1 bay Leave
1 tbsp olive oil
75g gluten free flour
3 hard boiled eggs – shelled and cut into quarters
Salt (You can add pepper too if you like)
4 medium sizes Potatoes ( I used organic potatoes)
olive oil (about 3-4 tbsp)
1. Preheat oven to 200c.
2. Put the fish pie mix, milk, onion, and bay leave in a saucepan and bring to boil over a gentle heat.
3. Simmer for 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
4. Cool for 30 minutes.
5. Strain and reserve the liquid. Discard the onion and bay leave.
6. Flake the fish and remove any bones.
7. Heat olive oil in a saucepan and add the flour. Cook for about 1 minute. Gradually add the reserved liquid while stirring all the time.
8. Take it off the heat and add the flaked fish. Add the quartered boiled eggs and season well. Pour the mixture into a pie dish.
9. Bake in a hot oven for 20 minutes or until the potatoes turn a golden brown and start to colour.
10. Serve with peas.